Grade Level Expectations for grades PK-8
The following FAQs are explained in greater depth in the revised "Introduction" to the Curriculum Standards:
Q: What are Grade-Level Expectations?
A: GLEs express what students should be able TO DO to demonstrate their science knowledge. They are learner outcomes that are outgrowths of Framework curriculum Content Standards;
Q: How are GLEs related to the Science CMT?
A: Framework Expected Performances continue to serve as the assessment expectations. GLEs relate to curriculum. Assessed concepts and skills are a subset of the broader curriculum. Although some GLEs may be assessed on CMT, they are measured primarily through classroom- and district-level assessments.
Q: Are GLEs state-mandated lesson plans?
A: No, GLE performances are attained through cumulative learning over a series of lessons. Districts may prioritize GLEs and may add them gradually to the curriculum.
SUMMARY OF UPGRADES MADE TO THE OCTOBER 2008 GLE DRAFT:
- Clarification of intended purpose and use (revised Introduction)
- Addition of distinct Prekindergarten GLEs
- Reduction in number (especially in Gr. 6-8)
- More GLEs correlated to framework INQs (esp. in K-2)
- Condensed or simplified language; added more 'e.g.'
- Changed "CMT Correlation" in PK-2 to "Assessment"
MSP Science State Coordinator
Connecticut State Department of Education
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106